Wednesday, January 30, 2013

This Week's Hot Grocery Deals (IMHO)

We have new sales starting today at both Sprouts and Whole Foods in Boulder (Longmont also for Sprouts), while I hear Vitamin Cottage is on big sale hiatus until February 3rd, which is almost upon us.  Here's what's looking good to me in the new sales, IMHO, as always.

At Sprouts through February 6th, value packs of boneless skinless chicken breasts are notable at $1.88 a pound, grass-fed organic ground beef is $4.88 a pound, and baby back ribs are $2.88 a pound.  Sounds like a Super Bowl lineup to me.  All chicken sausage (pork also) is $2.99 a pound, boneless country style ribs are very good at $1.99 a pound, and boneless ribeye steaks are $9.99 a pound.  In fish, previously frozen wild Alaskan sockeye salmon fillets are $10.99 a pound (and always watch how things are weighed up - last week they weighed my $4.99 farmed salmon as the wild at twice the price), and fresh wild mahi fillets are $6.99 a pound.  I can see avocado fans dancing in the streets, with conventional Hass ones returning to three for $1.  In organic produce, we have some ongoing stellar specials, with one pound bags of baby carrots $1.25 each, russet potatoes $1.99 a five pound bag, and bulk spring salad mix or spinach $3.99 a pound.  Organic grape tomatoes are great at $1.99 a pint, yams are okay at $1.29 a pound, and there are also several good deals on organic apples and pears.  Elsewhere in the store, the big news for me is that the entire bulk department is 25% off, which should include my favorite everyday coffee.  It's no secret that I love the Sprouts Blend Fair Trade certified organic variety in both regular and decaf that is available at the Sprouts store on Baseline, but it is a mystery to me why Sprouts' own brand would not be found at either the Arapahoe or Longmont stores.  Elsewhere in the store, Muir Glen organic pasta sauces are notable at $2.50 a jar, but I've already stocked up at a prior sale, and while I'm not a snack buyer, I'm inclined to note that select "smarter snacks for the big game" are 25% off.

At Whole Foods through February 12th, satsuma's brief season has arrived, and while I can't compare this with other stores, Whole Foods will have them for $1.99 a pound.  Their fine New York strip steaks are $11.99 a pound (bones not specified, and with such a low price for them, I'd predict bone-in).  Their own lovely sourdough boule is $2.50, and their own in-house-made guacamole is $6.99 a pound, if you don't want to mess with making your own for game day.  Beware the Muir Glen pasta sauce sale at $3, as you'll find it cheaper at Sprouts above, and I wonder about the MSC certified halibut on sale for $17.99 a pound.  The ad says nothing about fresh versus frozen; I'd definitely pay that much for fresh, but I don't think this is the season for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment