Wednesday, January 16, 2013

This Week's Hot Grocery Deals

We have new sales starting today at our local Sprouts (now including Longmont) and Whole Foods stores.  Unfortunately, once again, there's no flyer from Sprouts in my Daily Camera, and reviewing from the store's website is downright inconvenient from the screen, so will be abbreviated.  I'm also pretty sure there's something going on at Vitamin Cottage, but when I passed by the Boulder store a couple of days ago, the parking around the store was such a zoo, I opted to keep on moving.  Here's what's appealing to me in the sales I'm looking at now.

At Sprouts through January 23rd, the big news for me is the return of their Gluten Free Jubilee, with 25% off thousands of gluten-free products.  I'm not even gluten-intolerant, but this is always a great opportunity to pick up staples like Lundberg rice at a great price.  Some of Pamela's great cookies and a whole lot of other things will be going in the basket too.  In meat, bone-in ribeye steaks or roasts are quite notable at $4.99 a pound ($7.99 for the boneless steaks), whole, split or cut-up chickens are $1.49 a pound (see below also for a good price on a fine whole air-chilled chicken at Whole Foods), ground chicken, pork, and chicken breast are all $2.99 a pound, and boneless pork loin chops are also $2.99 a pound.  Fans of Pacific Dungeness crab might like fresh whole cooked ones at $5.99 a pound, while flash-frozen Alaskan sockeye fillets are $8.99 a pound.  There are lots of organic produce specials, but it's too hard to go back and forth to the screen for each price.  Suffice it to say I'm liking one pound bags of baby carrots, bunched beets, russet potato bags, Valencia orange bags, bulk spring mix or spinach (still $3.99 a pound, yay!), and lots of organic apples.  Elsewhere in the store, I'm liking select Applegate deli meats at 25% off, Wallaby Greek yogurts $1 each, and of course just a ton of gluten-free products all 25% off.

Whole Foods through January 29th is tantalizing me with more specials than usual.  Whole Foods' seafood is always appealing, and when their sustainability practices meet up with competitive prices, I really take notice.  The new sale includes Atlantic cod fillet (not specified, but I'd guess previously frozen) at a very reasonable $7.99 a pound, something I'd jump on, since it's $5 off their usual price.  Prepared fish is enticing too, with both cod cakes and teriyaki salmon cakes also at $7.99 a pound.  Their air-chilled chicken is also excellent, so I'm considering their whole bagged chickens at $1.99 a pound (the ad actually says "fyers," but since a chicken is pictured, I'm assuming it's a fryer).  In organic produce, organic red and green leaf lettuce, and green kale are all very good at $1.50 each.  I'm intrigued by something I haven't noticed before, Market Made pho soup kits (in both chicken or beef) for $5.99, which is $3 off.  I'll never replicate the pho I had in Vietnam a few years ago (or at Saigon Xpress in Longmont), but anything that makes it easy to try at home is worth a shot.

No comments:

Post a Comment