Friday, January 25, 2013

Weekend Dinner Ideas

The current sales have me thinking very fish-centric, but without much time, this will be quick.  And tonight will be exceptionally quick, consisting merely of the fresh (therefore farmed, but it's that time of year) salmon that Sprouts has for $4.99 a pound this week, accompanied by microwaved "baked" potatoes from Sprouts' five pound bag of organic russets that's just $1.99 a bag.  Some organic veggie will go on the side, but that will be at the whim of what appeals.

I'm intrigued by the Laughing Bird fresh wild bay scallops that Sprouts has for $7.99 a pound, which is reminding me of linguine with bay scallops, fennel and tomatoes from Bon Appetit for tomorrow.  My experience has been that it's just fine without taking the trouble of the addition of Pernod.  For the side salad, organic bulk spring mix remains $3.99 a pound at Sprouts, and Whole Foods has organic green or red leaf lettuce at $1.50 a bunch through Tuesday.

The fish theme continues through Sunday, where for our big item that will also serve as a midweek reheat, I'm thinking smoky shrimp and halibut stew, a favorite from Bon Appetit.  Sprouts has a smallish but decent cooking-sized shrimp, 41/50 count, for just $2.99 a pound, and I've previously said I think halibut is a stellar fish that should be reserved for adulation on its own, so the Atlantic cod Whole Foods has for $7.99 a pound through Tuesday is to me an excellent substitution.  Same comments as above regarding the side salad.

Ta dah, we're done.

No comments:

Post a Comment