Sunday, January 6, 2013

Weekday Dinner Ideas

Here's a quick rundown.  Am too busy prepping my day for the start of Downton Abbey, season three tonight, woohoo!

Tomorrow will be a version of brown rice penne with eggplant from Cooking Light, using regular whole wheat penne instead.  I saw organic eggplant at the new Longmont Sprouts for $1.99 a pound, a very good price, which I hope I also find at the Boulder stores.

Tuesday is our reheat of something big made over the weekend, which will be tonight's black bean chili with butternut squash and Swiss chard from Bon Appetit.  In retrospect, I should have looked up vintage foods instead to celebrate Downton Abbey.

The organic butternut squash I got at Sprouts was a great price, but the smallest squash they had was still huge, so I'm looking for a way to finish it off.  Wednesday will therefore be winter squash and pork stir-fry from the New York Times.  Sprouts also has a decent price on pork for this, with several possible cuts all $2.97 a pound through Wednesday.

I'll simplify my life by taking my own advice for Thursday, making a quick riff on old fashioned tuna casserole by making a package of Annie's mac 'n cheese according to its directions, then stirring in a can of tuna, plus I like to add maybe a cup of defrosted peas.  Total comfort food, totally quick, and with the Annie's just $1 a package at Sprouts through Wednesday, also totally cheap.  I've already laid in several packages in the cupboard.

No comments:

Post a Comment