Friday, May 1, 2015

Return Of The Giant Basil Plants

They're baaack. Yesterday the Whole Foods on Pearl Street had huge organic basil plants, plus they're on sale for $6.99 a pot through May 13th. We're having really mild weather, but I think I'll wait till a little closer to the end of the sale to pick mine up. Although a pot can be dragged back inside if a cold night threatens (and it doesn't have to be a frost - basil is sensitive to cool temperatures), the memory is still fresh for me of the year I had a giant basil sheltering inside, and a stack of newspapers waiting to be recycled slid out and crushed the poor thing. But anyway, pesto is already on my mind, and these plants are so big, you can essentially start harvesting from them right away if you can't resist.

No comments:

Post a Comment