Wednesday, August 15, 2012

This Week's Hot New Grocery Deals

We have new sales starting today at our Boulder Sprouts, Sunflower, and Whole Foods.  Here's what's looking best to me, IMHO as always.

Sprouts and Sunflower have been slowly marching towards being one store as they merge, and this week they've taken the big step of issuing just one joint ad of specials.  The Sunflower logo still appears below the Sprouts one, but I imagine that will disappear soon.  Less comparison for me to have to do on prices, but that means less competition and variety as well.
At both Sprouts and Sunflower through the 22nd, boneless ribeye steaks and super big 16/20 count raw shrimp both look good at $6.99 a pound, fresh wild caught Alaskan sockeye fillets are $9.99 a pound, and ground pork and all chicken sausage are $2.99 a pound.  My favorite Ezekiel breads are $3.99 a loaf, and double cream brie is $7.99 a pound.

In organic produce at both stores through the 22nd, one pound bags of carrots are $1.25, red or green grapes are $1.99 a pound (same for the green at Whole Foods), five pound bags of russets are $3.99 each, romaine lettuce is just 99 cents a head, six packs of romas are $2.50 (much as I dislike prepackaged produce, I'm learning to live with some of it, heading to Whole Foods for the rest), grape tomato pints are $1.99 each, one pound clamshells of green beans are $2.50, and celery is $1.29 a bunch.

Whole Foods is giving me more food for thought, so to speak, than usual through August 28th.  I'm liking boneless country style pork ribs for $3.99 a pound.  You'll find them for less elsewhere, but I think the American Homestead pork is worth a little extra.  My favorite Market Made Hatch green chile burgers, in both beef or turkey (yay!) are $4.99 a pound (and with fresh roasted Hatch chiles now available, at least at the Pearl Street store, you can also consider making your own, which couldn't be easier).  In organic produce, green grapes, plums, and Bartlett pears are all $1.99 a pound (same for the grapes at Sprouts).  Organic figs are just $3.99 a pound, and I hope their being advertised means they'll be in stock for the next two weeks.  I've been in fig withdrawal all summer, having great difficulty getting my hands on organic figs.  Organic heirloom tomatoes are $3.99 a pound, and consider pairing them with a particularly good deal, my favorite Crave Brothers fresh mozzarella at $5.99 for a big one pound log.  Scatter some ribbons of basil from your garden over them and you have an instant caprese salad.

No comments:

Post a Comment