Sunday, September 30, 2012

Weekday Dinner Ideas

It's Sunday already, so here's a quick rundown of the rest of the week.  Despite the big batch of pesto I made and largely froze a couple of weeks ago, my basil plants still have quite a bit left on them.  With temperatures currently expected to get as low as the upper 30s Wednesday night, my focus for the beginning of the week will be ruthless stripping of those basil plants.  Tomorrow night will be zucchini, corn, and basil fusilli with bacon from Gourmet magazine, making my own pesto again instead of the prepared variety in the recipe, and praying that I can still get my hands on some Munson's corn.

Since I seem to have a hard time stripping off every last basil leaf, I know I'll have enough left on Tuesday for shrimp risotto with baby spinach and basil from Bon Appetit.  The baby spinach will come from the bulk bins at either Sprouts or Whole Foods, and this time, it really will be curtains for those basil plants.

With all that basil stripping, we'll move our reheat of something big, which this week is tonight's New England seafood chowder from Bon Appetit, to Wednesday.  A salad on the side, and it's dinner.

I'm impressed with Sprouts having 100% grass-fed organic ground beef at $3.99 a pound through Wednesday, and since I haven't yet fit it in, I'll catch it by then to do chipotle sloppy joes from Cooking Light on Thursday.  I prefer it on organic baked (read microwaved) potatoes instead of a roll, kind of heresy for a sloppy joe.

Which gets us through to Friday, when I'm afraid we'll be thinking more fall than summer produce.

No comments:

Post a Comment