Friday, September 9, 2011

Weekend Dinner Ideas

Doing my dinner planning for the weekend this morning, I'm evidently in a pretty laid back mood, since ambitious cooking doesn't seem to be entering my thinking. Sometimes we deserve a weekend like that. For tonight, I'm thinking of using the ground chicken breast that's on sale at Sunflower as a possibly even lower fat replacement for ground turkey in spicy turkey burgers from Bon Appetit. With our daytime highs only in the 70s right now, I'll take a step towards fall by doing baked yam "fries" in the oven, using the organic yams also on sale at Sunflower. And a burger meal wouldn't be complete at this time of year without an ear of Munson's corn on the side.

For tomorrow, I'm impressed that Sunflower has MSC certified wild caught bay scallops on sale, which is turning my thoughts to shrimp and scallop posole from Bon Appetit. Sunflower also has 41/50 count shrimp on sale, a reasonable size to put in a soup. In addition to the salsa verde in the recipe, I'll probably add in a roasted chile or two during this chile-roasting season. For the side salad, Sunflower eases the work, with organic spring mix or baby spinach both $3.99 a pound, so you don't even have to tear up some lettuce leaves.

By Sunday, we'll need to get back out on the grill while we still can, and what's going on it is still a bit up in the air. I'm thinking about fish, but am not sure whether I'd like the current salmon sales. Two other possibilities appealing to me are the boneless pork loin chops or the country style pork ribs that are both on sale at Sunflower. The lean chops would be a bit tricky on the grill, while the ribs would tend towards the fattier side. Whichever of these choices does land on the grill, a perfect accompaniment would be peach and apple salsa from Bon Appetit. Sprouts has organic peaches for $1.99 a pound, and organic apples abound right now (Sunflower specifically has the Granny Smiths called for in the recipe for $1.88 a pound). The organic yams on sale at Sunflower will get diced into foil packages to also go on the grill.

And that pretty much gets us through a languid weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment