Wednesday, October 17, 2012

This Week's Hot New Grocery Deals (IMHO)

We have new sales starting today at our Boulder Sprouts and Whole Foods, while the current one continues at Vitamin Cottage (click for prior report).  Here's what's looking best to me.

At Sprouts through October 24th, conventional produce is rarely a highlight of the week for me, but asparagus at $1.99 a pound is a welcome sight in the fall.  The return of their Gluten Free Jubilee, with 25% off over 2,000 gluten-free products is another biggee.  In meat, boneless skinless chicken breasts are $1.99 a pound in the value pack and whole, split or cut up chickens are $1.59 a pound (shows you how good last week's deal on air chilled ones at Whole Foods was), but the more interesting action seems to be in fish.  Fresh wild Pacific salmon fillets are just $5.99 a pound (although I wonder how late in the season we can go), ez peel 41/50 count (small but useful as an ingredient) raw shrimp are $3.99 a pound, and I'd take a look at the flash-frozen at sea wild swordfish steaks at $8.99 a pound.  Country of origin should be marked, and I swear I once found a very good piece that came from the USA.

In organic produce, a pint of grape tomatoes remains good at $1.99 each, butternut squash is 88 cents a pound, broccoli remains $1.49 a pound, cauliflower is $1.29 a pound, russet potatoes are still $3.99 for a five pound bag, red or jewel yams are 99 cents a pound, and honeycrisp apples, which have something of a cult following, are $1.99 a pound.  Elsewhere in the store, I'm also interested in Lundberg Family Farms rice products at 25% off.  It says "select varieties," and I hope their bags of rice (stock up time) and addictive rice chips are included, as I suspect they are.  Pamela's cookies (dangerously good and gluten-free) and Seapoint Farms edamame are also 25% off.  Actually, a whole bunch of lines are 25% off select products (partly because of the Gluten Free Jubilee), but those are the ones that catch my eye.

Whole Foods has a new sale through the 30th, but I have to rely on their online posting until I can get my hands on the sale flyer in the store, and so far this morning, they've only posted a few featured sales, instead of the usual full online flyer.  Of the featured ones, Ford Farm smoked seaside cheddar looks very good at $7.99 a pound, but nothing else of the few choices is really getting me enthused.  Organic gala apples are $1.99 a pound, but you can get four pounds of organic gala apples for $5 at Sprouts this week, nearly half the price of the Whole Foods sale.  And Whole Foods has Muir Glen organic canned tomatoes on sale for $3 each (size not specified, but it's probably the larger one, since that would be a terrible price for the small ones), but that bigger 28 ounce size is just $1.79 at Vitamin Cottage through November 3rd.  More later when I get the full flyer in my hands, if I can find time (very busy week ahead).

No comments:

Post a Comment