Friday, October 5, 2012

Weekend Dinner Ideas

With snow actually possible for tomorrow morning (good thing I got all my basil plants picked this week), my thinking for this weekend has veered sharply towards comfort and colder weather foods.  For tonight, we'll go for old fashioned spaghetti and meatballs, the meatballs made quickly by forming them from the turkey basil loaf that Sprouts has on sale for $3.79 a pound.

If snow might hit the ground tomorrow, I'm throwing myself headlong into the mood with a favorite vegetarian recipe, black bean chili with butternut squash and Swiss chard from Bon Appetit.  Vitamin Cottage (on which I'm still trying to find time to do a report) has Imagine's wonderful organic broths and stocks for $2.49 all month, and also the large 25 ounce size cans of Westbrae organic beans for just $1.89 each.  My chili isn't actually vegetarian, since I prefer the chicken stock or broth in it, but Imagine also has veggie alternatives as well.

We'll be back to improvising with another comfort food for Sunday, hoping that the "select varieties" of Yves meat alternatives on sale at Sprouts at 25% off includes their pepperoni and/or Canadian bacon, in order to do a homemade pizza hot from the oven.  I love Whole Foods' multigrain fresh dough for a base for whatever I want as toppings, and since a package fills an entire rimmed baking sheet, it makes for tons of leftovers as well.

So stay warm out there.  The 80s and low 90s couldn't last forever, but didn't we spend most of the last few months practically pushing 100?

No comments:

Post a Comment