Sunday, October 30, 2011

Weekday Dinner Ideas

Oh great. It looks like we'll have a repeat this week of last week's Tuesday night into Wednesday snow. Best to have everything planned out and shopped for this weekend. I'm not big on Halloween dishes, but I will do something orange to get in the spirit tomorrow night. With organic butternut squash cheap in most stores (77 cents a pound at Sprouts, 79 cents at Alfalfa's, 99 cents at Sunflower), I'm going to opt for butternut squash risotto with shrimp from Bon Appetit. Sprouts has pretty big 26/30 count shrimp on sale for $7.99 a pound, as well as the lowest organic butternut price.

For Tuesday, we have our usual easy reheat of something big made over the weekend, which this week will be the quick coq au vin from Bon Appetit, unless I decide to postpone such a warm comfort food to a snowy Wednesday.

Unless I flip Tuesday and Wednesday plans, we'll be wanting pasta by Wednesday, and also something vegetarian, for which I'm thinking whole wheat pasta with edamame, arugula, and herbs from Cooking Light. Truth be told, although I made and froze a whole bunch of pesto a couple of weekends ago, I had so much basil this year that one entire pot escaped that pesto batch and is currently sitting inside my house, where it's not getting enough light. This pasta dish will definitely go heavy on the basil.

Sunflower is doing 40% off ground meats through Wednesday, which I intend to pick up in time to try a new recipe on Thursday from the October issue of Cooking Light, Thai beef cabbage cups, which looks like a spin on the dish I've been extolling as laab, larb, or laap. I'd venture to guess it would also be good with ground turkey or chicken breast as well, instead of the ground sirloin if desired.

And that will get us through to next Friday's planning. But hey, they're also talking about the possibility of another snowstorm for Friday and Saturday!

No comments:

Post a Comment