Thursday, August 15, 2013

Lucky's Market Opens In Longmont With Great Deals

The new Lucky's Market opened yesterday in Longmont, and do they ever know how to through a grand opening sale.  It runs through August 21st, and since the sale flyer says "Longmont's independent grocery store," I'd assume they are only applicable there, and not at the north Boulder store.

The most stupendous of the deals to me is boneless skinless chicken breasts for $1.87 a pound.  This would be a stunning sale anywhere I shop, but the thing that makes it jaw-dropping is that Lucky's has a "never, ever" policy for their meats, so unlike another natural store I can think of, we're assured that these super low-priced chicken breasts are antibiotic free and humanely processed, in addition to having no preservatives.  Nitrate-free house-cured bacon is $5.99 a pound, pork shoulder is $1.99 a pound, and top sirloin steak is $5.99 a pound, again with those high standards.  They also have beef London broil and pork baby back ribs both at $2.99 a pound, same price as Sprouts this week.  Their fish section struck me as a little small for the size of the store, but maybe that's a function of having scoped out their clientele.  The special there that really struck me is wild harvested jumbo shrimp (16-20 count) for $7.99 a pound, and the sign when I was there yesterday said these are Gulf shrimp. They also have crab cakes for $2 each.  I'd already outlined my menus for next week based on what I'd seen from Whole Foods and Sprouts yesterday morning, but these specials have me red-lining out many of those plans.

Being Lucky's, organic produce is particularly strong.  Green bell peppers (part of the "dirty dozen" that I prefer only in organic) are spectacularly low at 25 cents each (update - my goof, they are local but not organic), collard greens are 88 cents a bunch, and those are both local!  It doesn't say local, but organic bunched broccoli is also great at 99 cents a pound.  Other organic produce includes bananas just 50 cents a pound, avocados 77 cents each, and red and green leaf lettuce 88 cents a head (they do have organic local for a great $1.19 also, but I couldn't find signage to distinguish what the pile in front of me was - understandably a few bugs still to work out),

Elsewhere in the store, there are also tremendous bargains.  My favorite Cascade Fresh yogurts are three for $1, when I hope to find them for 79 cents and have had to pay as much as 99 cents each.  Select half quarts of Organic Valley milk are $2.50, and 16 ounce Cascade Fresh sour cream is just 99 cents each.  In frozen, Amy's burritos are practically being given away at $1.25 each. Cheese is also getting into the knockout punch act, with Italian parmigiano reggiano (the real stuff that usually runs more like $17) just $9.99 a pound, and BelGioioso fresh mozzarella is good at $2.50 for a half pound cup.

Other specials really catching my eye include at least eight types of organic bulk coffee at $6.99 a pound, Clif bars as low as I've ever seen them at 79 cents each, six ounce boxes of Annie's mac and cheese for 89 cents (I haven't seen those anywhere near under a dollar for years), five ounce bags of Boulder Canyon potato chips $1 each, and a line drive on Lucky's own line of vitamins and supplements, all at 30% off.  Also, some Udi's local artisan breads are just $2 a 14 ounce loaf, and in their prepared foods (very tempting!), they have a rotisserie chicken that will be $6.99 each everyday!

So I'd highly recommend checking out this place if it's at all within range for you.  It was already quite crowded and festive on its opening day, with freshly prepared sushi and several types of cheese being sampled, and the grand opening celebration actually isn't until this weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment