Wednesday, August 28, 2013

This Week's Hot Grocery Deals (IMHO)

We have new sales starting today at our Boulder Sprouts and Whole Foods sales, while the current one continues at Vitamin Cottage through September 28th (click for prior report).  There also should be a new sale starting today at Lucky's, so my quandary continues as to whether to try to write more when I don't have the time, and if the new Longmont store keeps specials separate from the original Boulder store, does it even make sense to cover Longmont just because I can sometimes get there, when this blog is supposed to be about Boulder?  In any case, here's what's looking good to me from what I'm looking at now.

Sprouts' new sale runs through September 4th, and I definitely want to check out the country of origin of their fresh tilapia fillets, which are stunningly low at $3.99 a pound.  I read several years ago that domestically farm-raised tilapia is one of the most eco-friendly fish around.  Value packs of boneless skinless chicken breasts are okay at $2.49 a pound, bone-in New York steak is $5.99 a pound, Rosie's Organic chicken drumsticks are $1.99 a pound, boneless pork country style ribs (good on the grill) are $2.49 a pound, pork baby back ribs are $2.99 a pound, and all types of chicken sausage (pork also) are $2.99 a pound.  Gourmet stuffed clams, crab or scallops are spectacularly low at 99 cents each and make great appetizers for a party, but with our temperatures in the mid to high 90s right now, I'm not inclined to crank up the oven quite yet.  Finally, fresh wild king salmon fillets are good at $14.99 a pound (I've seen them nearly twice that elsewhere), but this week it might be worth a detour to King Soopers, where fresh wild king fillets are just $11.99 a pound with card.

In organic produce at Sprouts, on-the-vine tomatoes are $1.98 a pound, celery is just 98 cents a bunch, baby carrots are $1.50 for a one pound bag, gala apples or yellow peaches are both $1.98 a pound, and strawberries are $2.98 for a one pound clamshell.  Elsewhere in the store, I'm liking eight ounce cups of Galbani fresh mozzarella at $2.99 each (I'm sensing a caprese salad coming up), Chobani Greek yogurts at $1 each, select DeLallo whole wheat pasta (my new fave) at $2 a one pound bag, some MaraNatha peanut butter $4.99 for a 16 ounce jar, and Spectrum Essentials chia seeds $8.99 for a 12 ounce bag (I've really gotten into chia or flax seeds on salads).

Whole Foods' sale that ended yesterday had so many enticing items to me, it's hard to work up similar enthusiasm for their more normal new sale that runs through September 17th.  Their excellent air-chilled chickens do look good at $1.99 a pound (the ad says whole, but I've always known the meat guys to be ready to cut them up if desired).  Atlantic salmon steaks are $9.99 a pound, but Atlantic would mean farmed, so I'll stick with the fresh wild king options mentioned above.  Also, coho salmon fillets are $16.99 a pound, so ditto re the king above.  I do love Whole Foods' prepared salmon burgers for a quick and easy meal, and this time it's the citrus bbq burgers that are on sale for $7.99 a pound.  In organic produce, gala apples are $1.99 a pound, effectively matching Sprouts' sale, Bartlett pears are also $1.99 a pound, and variety cherry tomatoes look pretty good at $3.99 a pound.  Elsewhere in the store, I'm liking my favorite breads, Ezekial 4:9 at $3.99 a loaf, and Whole Foods' own yummy seeduction bread at $3 a loaf.  Barber's cheddar is $5 off at $8.99 a pound, and for a mini celebration, little four inch cakes from Rubicon Bakery are $3.99 each.

No comments:

Post a Comment