Wednesday, August 21, 2013

This Week's Hot Grocery Deals (IMHO)

We have a new sale starting today at our local Sprouts stores, while the current one continues at Whole Foods through the 27th, and the current one at Vitamin Cottage runs all the way through September 28th (click for prior reports).  There also should be a new one starting today at Lucky's Market, which puts me in a quandary.  I previously didn't cover them because I rarely could get to their wonderful store in north Boulder.  But now that their second store has opened in Longmont this past week, I can see myself getting to that one pretty easily.  But how can I spend more time writing when I really need to cut back, if anything?  We'll see.  If the sales for the second week of the Longmont Lucky's are anywhere approaching the stunning level of their grand opening week that runs through today, I'll just have to find the time.  In any case, here's what's looking good to me in the new sale at Sprouts that I have in hand.

At Sprouts' new sale running through August 28th, boneless country style ribs or pork shoulder roast are stunningly low at $1.49 a pound.  Those ribs, certainly not the leanest meat choice in the world, come out fabulously in a smoker or even just a regular grill.  100% grass-fed organic ground beef is quite good at $4.99 a pound, and chicken breast tenders are okay at $2.49 a pound (but speaking of chicken, I wouldn't consider this week's $3.99 a pound for boneless skinless chicken breasts to be a sale).  Fresh ground chicken, pork, or chicken breast are all $2.99 a pound, and in fish, fresh wild coho salmon fillets are $8.99 a pound, and very big previously frozen wild raw shrimp are also $8.99 a pound.

In organic produce at Sprouts, on-the-vine tomatoes are excellent at $1.50 a pound, five pound bags of red, russet or Yukon potatoes are just $2.99 each, one pound bags of baby carrots remain great at $1.50 each, red or green grapes are fantastic at $1.69 a pound, yellow nectarines and yellow or white peaches are all $1.99 a pound, and one pound clamshells of strawberries or six ounces of blueberries are both $2.99 each.  In conventional produce, I should mention that Olathe sweet corn is good at five for $1, but I'll stick with my picked that morning, pesticide-free Munson's at 50 cents each.  Elsewhere in the store, bulk coffee is $7.99 a pound, and there are a lot of back to school specials that don't personally do anything for me, although 50% off select Annie's meals and snacks might include some things an adult would appreciate, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment