Friday, August 9, 2013

Weekend Dinner Ideas

Actually, I don't really have many.  And since I don't have much time either, maybe that's a good thing.  For tonight, with ominous clouds looming over the mountains, we're giving the family griller a break by having the pre-cooked baby back rib rack, $9.99 from Sprouts' 72 hour sale that started today.  What else goes with ribs but Munson's corn?

Tomorrow we hope to be back out on the grill.  The original plan was the fresh coho salmon that's on sale at Sprouts for $11.99 a pound, but when I saw gorgeous fresh swordfish at Whole Foods for $18.99 a pound, I caved and bought that instead.  Foil packages of diced potatoes will also go on the grill (at least I stuck to cheap there, getting a five pound bag of organic Yukon golds at Sprouts for just $2.99, and red or russet bags are also on sale at that price).  The veggie will be succotash of fresh corn, lima beans, tomatoes and onions from Bon Appetit, the corn coming of course from Munson's.

Sunday will be our big item suitable for a midweek reheat as well.  I'd planned to do my favorite pork green chile recipe, since I'd frozen some nice lean center-cut pork chops from Sprouts' sale that ended Wednesday, and Whole Foods already has freshly roasted chiles from Hatch, NM, but then realized I'd loaned out my wonderful cookbook on New Mexico chiles that contains that recipe.  So what else to do but adapt another well-liked recipe, corn and green chile chowder from the Food Network?  I'll use diced lean pork instead of the bacon, potatoes from my big five pound sale bag mentioned above, and corn obviously from Munson's.  I swear I have absolutely no connection to those fine people at Munson's aside from veneration of their corn.

No comments:

Post a Comment