Friday, August 23, 2013

Quick Weekend Dinner Ideas

With summer quickly drawing to a close, there's no time to cook, and certainly no time to write.  Tonight in fact will be cook's night off!  With today's one-day sale on roast chickens for $5 each at Whole Foods (see post below), who could resist?  Plus, I've noticed that the new Lucky's in Longmont (possibly the original store, too), has them every day for the still very decent price of $6.99 each.  I haven't notice what Whole Foods' everyday price is, but it's likely higher.

For tomorrow, I'm so extremely tempted to put some of those boneless country style pork ribs that are just $1.49 this week at Sprouts into the smoker, but think we'll stay better behaved with wild coho salmon on the grill instead.  Both Sprouts and the new Longmont Lucky's have it for $8.99 a pound this week.

I'll sacrifice by doing a bit of cooking on Sunday, since we'll still want something big to also make an easy midweek reheat.  With bay scallops $5.99 a pound at the new Lucky's grand opening sale, I'll improvise to make corn and bay scallop corn chowder, based on the recipe for corn and cod chowder from Food and Wine magazine.  Usually I'd assume that the corn would be my favorite, picked-that-day ones from Munson's Farm at 50 cents apiece, but I must say the 10 cents an ear sale the new Lucky's has on locally grown corn does have me thinking...

And that's it!

No comments:

Post a Comment